Here I am, writing again as a way to stay creative and to find time to do the things I really enjoy. Sometimes life gets hectic and the things that suffer first are those little ones that actually can make a huge difference. So, for today’s post, I want to share a recipe that I shared with friends over dinner a few nights ago. Fancy some curry?? Then you will love this Indian Butter Chicken!!
Ingredients:– 60 g of butter – 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil – 1 large white onion – 3/4 kg boneless chicken breast – 4 garlic cloves – 1 tsp chili powder – 1 tsp cumin powder – 1 tsp curry powder – 1 tsp sugar -1 Tbp ginger – 1 Tbs garam masala* – 3/4 cup of tomato paste – 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I have used plain yogurt some times and it worked just as well) – 1/3 cup of cream – salt and pepper to taste * If you cannot find garam masala this is how you can make it yourself: Mix in a bowl 1 Tbs ground cumin with 1 1/2 tsps of ground coriander, cardamom and pepper. Then, add 1 tsp of ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsps ground clove and nutmeg. Place the mix in a container and store it in a dry place.
I also made my own version of the special indian rice (jeera pulao) and I used:– 2 cups of rice – 3 cups Water
– 11/2tsp Cumin seeds(jeera)
– 1 Tbs oil
– salt to taste
– 2 Bay leaves
– 3 cloves
– 1 thumb size cinnamon stick
1. Start with the rice. Heat a pot or your rice cooker and add the oil. When it is hot toss in the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves and stir for about a minute. Add the rice and salt, and mix well. Add the water and stir one last time. The rice takes about 20 minutes to cook. Now that you have the rice going chop the onion, garlic, ginger and chicken.
2. Heat a pan and melt the butter. Add the onios and cook them for about 5 minutes. Then add the chicken and cook for about 3 minutes.
3. Cover the chicken with the ginger, garlic, curry powder, chili powder, cumin, sugar, garam masala, and salt and pepper. Mix well and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomato paste and the cream, then cook it over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring continuously. Finally add the greek yogurt and remove from the heat.
5. Check the flavor and serve with a portion of the rice that should be more than ready by now. You can garnish your dish with fresh coriander.
Dinner with friends, ready to serve!